Blumel supports 15% loading for local business
Mayoral candidate Debbie Blumel said a 15% weighting for local
business will be an important part of her Economic Plan for the
“Small businesses are what drive the Sunshine Coast’s economy and I will support them in every way I can,” Cr Blumel said.
“I will ensure that a mandatory criterion for the evaluation of all tenders is a weighting is 15% for local businesses.
“This weighting applies to both single projects as well as panels of providers where local firms can access Council works that fall under the $150,000 tender threshold.
“One candidate in this campaign has called for a weighting of just 5%. That is not enough. It is actually a reduction on what Council already offers and it would undermine local businesses and kill thousands of jobs.
“I will also promote an online facility for local businesses to be alerted to all public tender advertisements so businesses get immediate advice about great opportunities for them.
“There are currently more than 3,700 subscribers to the Tender Alert Service but I want that number to grow so even more businesses can benefit.
“Under my leadership, Council will take responsibility for the economic recovery of the region and I will get the job done.” The Blumel Economic Plan
• Develop a Regional Economic Action Plan and Local Economic Action Plan for every town
• Focus on five Transformational Projects (Airport Master Plan, Maroochydore Principal Activity Centre, Sunshine Coast University Hospital, Sippy Downs Technology Hub, Sunshine Coast Entertainment, Convention and Exhibition Centre)
• Establish a Sunshine Coast Business and Industry Group
• Provide incentives for clean-technology industries – the job creators of the future
• Elevate Economic Development within the Council hierarchy and create a One-Stop Shop and online facilities for businesses
• Slash Council red tape and advocate on behalf of business against State Government red tape
• Support a tender process that boosts local business opportunities
• Finalise the new Planning Scheme
• Achieve our share of State and Federal Government funding
• Host a regional Major Projects Forum every year
“As the only Mayoral candidate with experience as a Councillor, and as the head of Council’s Major Projects Portfolio, I am best placed to generate jobs for this region.
“This bold plan provides the right balance; it allows strong economic growth while preserving our unique communities.
“I have a proven track record of delivering on my election commitments and if elected Mayor I’ll continue to get the job done.”
Permanent Link: Blumel supports 15% loading for local business
Publish Date: 20 Apr 12
All articles submitted by third parties or written by My Sunshine Coast come under our Disclaimer / Terms of Service
Latest Sunshine Coast Events
The Events Centre
Daintree Boulevard & Cooloola Court
Coolum Beach Library
Nambour State School Community Hall